Projects of Dr Sthapati
ARCHITECT AND BUILDER OF THE WORLD’S TALLEST STONE STRUCTURE Colossal Statue of Saint Thiruvalluvar at Kanyakumari
Sri.Ganapati Sthapati is the chief architect and builder of the 133 ft. high colossal statue of Saint Thiruvalluvar, on a rock in mid-sea, in the southern tip of the Indain sub-continent. This tallest structure was unveiled in January 2000 by the Honorable Chielf Minister of Tamil Nadu, Dr. Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi. The project sponsored by the Govt. of Tamil Nadu was done at an estimated cost of Rs. 10 crores. This structural master piece in stone consist of 3,681 pieces, each weighing 3-8 tonnes and has been designed and erected according to the principles of traditional stone sculpting and jointing technology.
SRI RANGANATHASWAMY TEMPLE, Muthurajawela, Colombo
This prestigious project of building an exact replica of the most ancient temple of Sri Ranganatha situated in Trichy, Tamilnadu, in the soil of Sri Lanka has been entrusted in the hands of Sri. V.Ganapathi Sthapati by the Cultural Trust, Government of Sri Lanka. This temple project estimated at Rs. 200 crores, will consist of 7 prakaras, 24 gopuras, spread over an area of 25 acres. The carving works are being carried out at Dr.Sthapati’s stone workshop, which will be shipped to Colombo.
OTHER GOVT. SPONSORED PROJECTS
• 1960-Palani – Construction of a five storeyed Gopuram in stone and thirty six Vimanas and renovation of a seven storeyed Gopuram for Sri Dandayuthapani Swamy Devasthanam, HR & CE Dept.
• 1973-New Delhi, Built Vimanam in stone from bottom to top in Chola style for Sri Swaminatha Swami Temple, Malaimandir.
• 1974-Poompuhar, Art Gallery for housing stone sculptures narrating the story of the Tamil epic Silapathikaram.
• 1976 – Chennai, A novel construction – a stone built temple car in memory of Saint Thiruvalluvar, called as Valluvarkottam.
• 1981 -Chennai, Architectural pedestal for statue of Nehru at Kathipara junction.
• 1981-Madurai, Built eight Thorana Vayils – large sized architectural archways for the fifth World Tamil conference.
• 1982 – Madurai, Large sized architectural archway – Thorana Vayil for Kamarajar University.
• 1982 – Tamilnadu, Memorial pillar engraved with golden words of Thanthai Periyar on his centenary celebration.
• 1984 – Trichy, Ornamental and architectural frontage for Bharathidasan University.
• 1985 – Madurai, University memorial pillar for Sangam poet.
• 1985-Paparapatti, Memorial pillar for freedom fighter Subramanya Shiva.
• 1987-Tanjore, Tanjore Circular Library building and Administrative building rectangular plan flexed at the centre with a tower of 123 ft. high, the two architectural edifices sponsored by the Tamil University – Directorate of Technical Education, Chennai.
• 1986 – Chennai, Large sized architectural entrance archway at Anna Nagar West.
• 1987 – Trichy ,Contributed a detailed design for a thirteen storeyed tower of 226 ft. ht. for Sri Rangam Temple for the HR & CE Dept.
• 1992 – Karaikudi, Tamil Thai Temple – in the premises of Kamban Mani Mandapam. A stone-built temple of creative design, to enshrine the personified form of the Tamil Language.
• Circular Library Building,.Tamil University, Tanjore.
• The Administrative Block, Tamil University, Tanjore.
• Architectural entrance archway at Anna Nagar, Chennai
• 2001-Trichy, Renovation of main statue (moola vigraha) of Sri Ranganathan Swamy Temple, Sri Rangam.
MASTER SCULPTURES IN STONE
Sri Swaminatha Swamy Temple, Malai Mandir New Delhi in 1973.
Statue of Swaminatha Swami (4′.7″ ft. high).
Avudaiyar koil kodungai.
Lion with ball inside the mouth.
Perforated stone Jaalakam called ‘Palakani’.
A cow-sculpture with perforation between nostril and ear so that a splinter inserted by one end will emerge across the other end.
All the above fine creations in stone have been housed inside a mandapam located within the premises of the Sri Swaminatha Swamy Temple, New Delhi. This mandapam has been named as “Viswakarma Mandapam” by H.H.Paramacharyal Sankaracharya Swami of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, to signify the extraordinary skill involved in the sculptural works housed inside it.
Poompuhar – 1974
A large sized (8 ft. high) sculpture of Madhavi – the principal character of master dancer of Tamil epic Silappathikaram, Nedunkal Mandram, Elanji Mandram, Paavai Mandram (a stone built monument with sculptures).
Valluvar Kottam – Chennai – 1976
Statue of Thiruvalluvar, larger than life sized, seated on lotus pedestal for Valluvar kottam, the stone chariot.
Panchalankurichi – 1974
Statue of Kattabomman, the first freedom fighter of Tamilnadu – 8 ft. high.
Kentucky , USA – 1980
Statue of Venkateshwara (6 ft. high) with consort and other auxiliary deity.
Madurai – 1981
Statue of Tamil Thai (7 ft. high) – Tamil language personified and enshrined in a chariot commemorating the event of the 5th World Tamil meet. Opened by Honourable Prime Minister of India Smt. Indira Gandhi in the year 1981.
Mahabalipuram – 1982
Mamalla Stone sculptures for open Air Museum for Tamilnadu Tourism Development Corporation.
Ratinagiri – 1982
Stone chariot for Bala Murugan Temple, Kizhminnal sponsored by Rev.Swami Balamurugan Adimai.
Chennai – 1987
Statue of the King Samaneethi KandaCholan depicting administration of equal justice – erected in the High Court premises.
Tanjore – 1988
Statue of Valvil Raman (8 ft. long), in a reclining posture with attendant deities at Adanur.
Mamallapuram – 1988
Architectural entrance to the new campus of Govt. College of Architecture & Sculpture, 30 acres.
Bombay – 1989
Gnana Vinayakar statue (4′.7″ high), for H.H. Sri Chinmayanandaji.
TEMPLE PROJECTS IN INDIA
- 1975, Thirukoviloor, Sri Satguru Swami Gnananda Giri Temple, Thapovanam.
- 1988-1989,Chennai, Sri Muthu Mariamman Temple, Anna Nagar East.
- 1990-1991, Karaikudi, Sri Mariamman Temple, Amaravathi Puthur.
- 1990- Eduthanoor, Sri Durgai Amman Temple.
- 1990- Amaindakarai, Sri Shivan Temple.
- 1991- Madurai, Sri Vinayagar Temple, TVS (Sundaram Fasteners).
- 1993 – 1994- Chennai, Sri Vinayagar Temple, KCP Ltd., Thiruvottriyur.
- 1993 – Karaikudi – Tamil Thai Temple in the premises of Kambar Mani Mandapam.
- 1994 – Chennai, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple, Anna Nagar West.
- 1994 – Himachal Pradesh, Dhyana Mandapam for Swami Chinmayanandaji, Padhancot.
- 1994 – 1995- Nattathi, Sri Adhi Adaikalam Kathaval Thirukkoil.
- 1994 – 1995- Chennai, Sringeri Sri Saradha Mutt, T.Nagar.
- 1994 – Arungunam, Sri Dhrowpathi Amman Temple.
- 1994 – Chennai, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple, Sri Ramanjaneya Trust, Chrompet.
- 1994 – Hosur, Sri Ganesh Temple. TVS Suzuki Ltd., Harita.
- 1995 – 2000-Vellore, Thiru Muruga Kirubananda Variyar Mani Mandapam, Kangeyanallur.
- 1995 – 1996- Muppandhal, Sri Anjaneyar Temple, Wind Mill, Ramco.
- 1995 – Salem, Sri Iyyappan Temple, Sri Ayyappa Ashramam Committee.
- 1996 – Mysore, Sri Ramar Temple, Kempal.
- 1996 – 1999- Trichy, Sri Nagaraja Ganapati Temple, Southern Roadways.
- 1996 – Chennai, Sri Vinayagar Temple, Sudsun Ltd., Sudsun Housing Development Ltd., Mogappair.
- 1996 – Andhra, Sri Vinayagar Temple, Hotel Soorya, Nellore.
- 1996 – Hosur, Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, Malai Kovil, Harita.
- 1996 – Hosur, Sri Muthumariamman Temple, Harita.
- 1996 – Hosur Sri Navathi Mariamman Temple, Harita.
- 1997 – Chennai, Arulmigu Velleeswarar Thirukkoil, Mylapore.
- 1997 – Chennai, Sri Ramanjaneya Temple, Sri Ramanjaneya Trust, Chrompet.
- 1997 – 1998- New Delhi, Sri Ganapati Temple, Sri Ganesha Seva Samaj, Mayur Vihar.
- 1998 – 1999- Chennai, Rajagopuram, Sri Othaandeswarar Temple, Thirumazhilisai.
- 1998- 1999 – Chennai, Sri Kabaleeswarar Temple, Dwajasthambam works, Mylapore.
- 1998 – Karur, Sri Maha Ganapati Temple, Ramco.
- 1998 – Arumuganeri, Painting works of Sri Ramar Lakshmi Temple.
- 1998 – Chennai, Sri Paripoorana Soundara Vinayagar Temple, SCL, Padi.
- 1998 – Madurai, Sri Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple, Sundram Fasteners, Kambikudi.
- 1998 – Mamallapuram, Rajagopuram works of Sri Sthala Sayana Perumal Temple, Tamilnadu Construction Corporation Ltd.
- 1999 – 2000, Thiruvannamalai, Renovation of Sri Mathru Bhoo theswarar Temple, Ramanashramam.
- 1999 – Kovai, Sri Pathrakaliamman Temple, Upilipayalam.
- 2000 – Mysore, Sri Holae Devamma Temple.
- 2000 – Chidambaram, Sri Iyyappan Temple, Lord Iyyappan Temple Trust.
- 2000 – Rajapalayam, Sri Chokkar Temple, Rajapalayam Mills Ltd.
- 2000 – Chennai, Sri Varasidhi Vinayagar Temple, Sundaram Brake Linings, Padi.
- 2000 – Trichy, Renovation works of Sri Ranganathar statue, Sri Rangam.
- 2000 – Nilgris, Sri Shivan Temple, Rousdon Mullai Tea Estate, Devala.
- 2001 – Vellore, Sri Ganapati Temple, Hotel River View.
- 2002 – Patharakudi, Sri Muthumariamman Temple, ASM Araneri Trust.
- 2001 – Coimbatore, Sri Anna poorneswari Temple, Jagadguru Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Trust.
- 2001 – Pennadam, Sri Chakkarathalwar Statue, Madras Cements Ltd.
- 2001 – Rajapalayam, Sri Solai Malai Perumal Temple, Arulmigu Solai Malai Perumal Temple,Thirupani Committee.
- 2001 – Chennai, Sri Nandalala Krishna Temple, Nandalala Seva Samithi Trust, Mylapore.
- 2002 – Rajapalayam, Sri Neerkatha Iyyananr Temple.
- 2003 – Mathuravayil, Sri Vinayagar Temple.
- 2003 – Rathnagiri, Sri Balamurugan Temple, Kizminnal.
- 2003 – Kadiyapatti – Sri Umapatheeswarar Temple.
- 2003 – Kodaganallur – Sri Brahan Madhava Temple, Sri Brahan Madhavan Bhaktha Sabha, Thirunelveli.
- 2003 – Ettayapuram – Sri Venkatachalapathy Temple.
- 2003 – Bangalore, Sri Renuka Parameswari Temple.
- 2003 – Aruppukottai, Sri Padithurai Siddhi Vinayagar Temple.
- 2003 – Padavedu, Sri Veera Anjaneyar Temple.
- 2003 – Padavedu, Sri Senbagavathi Thayar Temple.
- 2003 – Hosur, Sri Venugopalaswamy Temple.
- 2003 – Hosur, Sri Krishnar Temple.
- 2003 – Hosur, Sri Gangadeeshwarar Temple.
- 2003 – Hosur, Sri Sangameshwarar Temple, Pethalendalur.
- 2003 – Hosur, Sri Kalyanachoodeswarar Temple.
Completed Temple Projects for Sri Venu Gopalaswamy Kainkaryam Trust:
- 1993 – Padavedu, Sri Venugopala Swamy Temple.
- 1994 – Padavedu, Sri Ammayappa Easwara Temple.
- 1994 – Padavedu, Sri Ramachandra Swamy Temple.
- 1994 – Padavedu, Sri Natchathirakundru Murugan Temple.
- 1994 – Padavedu, Sri Murugan Temple, Kesavapuram.
- 1995 – Padavedu, Sri Ramalinga Sowdeswari Temple.
- 1996 – Thirunelveli, Sri Thirupaarkadal Nambi Temple, Thirukkurungudi.
- 1996 – Thirunelveli, Sri Narasimhar Temple, Thirukkurungudi.
- 1997 – Padavedu, Sri Ganapati Temple, Ganesapuram.
- 1997 – Padavedu, Sri Chinnakottai Varadar Temple.
- 1997 – Padavedu, Sri Lakshmi Narasimhar Temple.
- 1998 – Padavedu, Sri Venugopalaswamy Temple.
- 1998 – Padavedu, Sri Anjaneya Temple.
- 1998 – Padavedu, Sri Kaliamman Temple.
- 2000- Padavedu, Sri Sastha Temple
- Sri Ganapathi Temple, Ganeshapuram, Padavedu Arcot Dist.
Completed Temple Projects for the Indian Cultural Heritage Trust
- 1994-Thirunelveli, Sri Devarpiran Temple, Erattai Thirupati.
- 1994-Thirunelveli, Sri Aravindalosanar Temple, Erattai Thirupati.
- 1995- Thirunelveli, Sri Kallapiran Temple, Srivaikuntam.
- 1996- Padavedu, Sri Renukambal Temple.
- 1996- Thirunelveli, Sri Kasinivendhan Temple, Thirupuliankudi.
- 1996- Thirunelveli, Sri Vijayasanar Perumal Temple, Natham.
- 1996- Thirunelveli, Sri Mayakoothar Temple, Perungulam.
- 1996- Thirunelveli, Sri Kolavizhi Amman Temple, Erattai Thirupati.
- 1996 – Mysore, Sri Ramar Temple, Kempal.
- 1997 – Thirunelveli, Sri Udayavar Temple, Thirukkurungudi.
- 1997 – Thirunelveli, Sri Kambathadiyan Temple, Erattai Thirupati.
- 1998 – Thirunelveli, Sri Desigar Temple, Alwathirunagiri.
- 1998 – Thirunelveli, Sri Appan Temple, Sivaramamangalam.
- 1998 – 1999 – Thirunelveli, Sri Vaithamanithi Temple, Thirukolulor.
- 1999 – 2000 – Thirunelveli, Sri Adhinatha Alwar Temple, Alwarthirunagari.
- 2000 – Alwarthirunagari, Sri Narasimhar Temple
- 2001 – Thirunelveli, Sri Renganatha Perumal Temple, Peror.
- 1999 – Thirukkurungudi, Sri Aneeleeswarar Temple.
- 2001 – Hosur, Sri Chandrachoodeswarar Temple, VGKT.
- 2001 – Thenthiruperai, Sri Mahara Nedunguzhaikadar Temple.
- 1996 – Chikmaglur, Sri Mahalakshmi Temple, The Myscoffee Temple and Welfare Trust.
- 1998 – Chennai, Sri Vyazhabhagavan Temple, Korattur.
- 1999 – Palani, Sri Venkateswara Balaji Temple, The Vijaya Kumar Mills Ltd., Pushpathur.
- 2001 – Chennai, Sri Pushpatheeswarar Temple, Surya Trust, Redhills.
- 2003 – Padavedu, Sri Periyakottai Varadhar Temple.
- 2003 – Padavedu, Sri Kottai Thalaiyari Sivan Temple.
- 2003 – Padavedu, Sri Yoga Ramar Temple, Rajagopuram.
- 2003 – Mayavaram, Atoor, Sri Maha Mariamman Temple.
- 2003 – Mangudi, Sri Vinayagar Temple.
- 2003 – Gangadharapuram, Sri Gangadeeswarar Temple, Mayavaram.
- 2003 – Atoor, Sri Mahamariamman Temple, Mayavaram.
- 2003 – Chennai, Sri Thiruvatheeswarar Temple, Padi.
- 2003 – Chennai, Sri Ponniamman Temple, Padi.
- 2003 – Arakonam – Sri Adhikesava Perumal Temple, Thandalam.
- 2004 – Thiruvannamalai, Sri Pavalagiriswar Temple.
- 2004 – Chidambaram, Rajah SirMuthiah Chettiar Memorial Arch, Annamalai University campus.
- 2004 – Walajabad , Sri Pitchandeeswar Temple.
- 2004 – Sri Villiputhur, Sri Gramathu Mariamman Temple.
- 2004 – Chennai, Sri Varasiddhi Vinayagar Temple. (Mylapore).
TEMPLE PROJECTS IN OVERSEAS COUNTRIES
- 1986 – Singapore, Sri Rudra Kaliamman Temple.
- 1986 – Singapore, Sri Dhandayuthapani Temple.
- 1986 – Chicago, Sri Ramar Temple with a 5 storeyed Rajagopuram of 75 ft. high, Illinois.
- 1986 – Sri Lanka, A Mandapam with 90 stone pillars, ten of which are with large sized sculptures.
- 1986 – London, Sri Murugan Temple – Highgate, UK.
- 1989 – Malaysia, Sri Murugan Temple.
- 1989 – UK, Sri Mahalakshmi Temple, Manor Park.
- 1991-1993 – USA, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple, Washington DC.
- 1992-1993 – Fiji Islands, Sri Siva Subramaniya Swamy Temple, Nadi.
- 1993 – USA, Sri Venkateshwara Temple, Washington DC.
- 1994- USA, Sri Iyappan Temple, Washington DC.
- 1995 – USA, Sri Ganesa Siva Durga Temple, Illinois, Chicago.
- 1997 – Indonesia, Sri Ganesa Statue for PT Five Star Industries Ltd.
- 1997 – USA, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple, St. Louis Missouri.
- 1998 – Sri Lanka, Sri Selva Vinayakar Temple, Kandy.
- 1999 – Florida, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple Complex, Miami.
- 2000 – Kenya, Sri Balaji Temple, Nairobi.
- 2000 – Indonesia, Sri Selva Ganapati statue works.
- 2001 – Florida, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple Complex, Miami.
- 2002 – Washigton DC., 66ft. High – 7 storeyed Rajagopuram, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple, USA.
- 1998 – Sri Lanka, Sri Ranganathar Temple, The Cultural Centre, Colombo.
- 2000 – Hawaii, Iraivan Temple (All in white granite), Saiva Siddhanta Church, Kauai.
- 2001 – USA, 66 ft. high – 7 Storeyed Rajagopuram, Sri Shiva Vishnu Temple, Washington DC.
- 2001 – USA, Sri Prasanna Ganapati Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA.
- 2001 – USA, Sri Vivekananda Memorial Mantapam, for the HTGC Temple, Illinois, Chicago.